On this episode of RV Family Travel Atlas, we are talking about our top eight tips for campground owners, developed after spending hundreds of nights at campground over the last few years. We have had some fantastic experiences, but also quite a few that could have been improved.
We first covered this topic all the way back on episode #5 of RV Family Travel Atlas, over two year ago. It was definitely time to revisit the issue with fresh eyes, and chat about some of the bigger campground features that make the difference between an average camping visit and an amazing one.
Segment One: Revisiting the Original 8 Tips for Campground Owners
On our older episode titled 8 Tips for Campground Owners, we addressed the following topics:
- Being upfront about problematic campsites
- The much maligned kid tax
- Activity Passes
- Camper Bracelets
- Well-stocked campstores
- Updated playground equipment
- Enforcement of quiet hours
- Posting and enforcing speed limits
Segment 2: 8 More Tips for Campground Owners
On this episode, 8 More Tips for Campground Owners, we came up with an entirely new list of topics:
- Full-service reservations during the off season
- Online campsite pictures
- Honest marketing of Wifi and Cell service
- Investing in affordable and low-tech recreation opportunities
- Improving the check-in process
- Creating community spaces
- Employee training and attention to customer service
We would love to hear your additional thoughts on any of these topics!
Segment 3: Dan and Erin Thiem, Owners of the Inntown Campground
In the third segment of this episode, we talk to Dan and Erin Thiem, owners of the Inn Town Campground in Nevada City, California. Dan and Erin built and opened their campground over the last two years and are in a unique position to give us the perspective of campground owners.
Dan recently attended the Outdoor Hospitality Conference and Expo in Texas, and came back with some thoughts on the future of the campground industry. We discuss:
- Commonalities amongst campground owners
- Generational shifts in campers
- Creating authentic experiences
- Highlighting the campground owners’ story
- A younger generation of campground owner
- Connectivity at the campground
News Round Up Topics and Links
- Get all the facts about the Florida RV Supershow here.
- Get the details for the Atlantic City RV Show here.
- Get info about the Camper College at Tom’s Camperland in Mesa, Arizona here.
- Donate to our Tents for Troops RV Loaner Program initiative here.
- Join us for our RVFTA LIVE, a Facebook Live Chat on Fridays at 3 pm ET. Send us any questions or comments you would like to share!
A big thanks to our sponsors for supporting weekly RV content for all our RV fools:
See you at the campground,
Stephanie + Jeremy